- Must be 18 years of age or over
- Valid current State of Michigan driver’s license or state ID card with current Ferndale address
- Valid picture ID or passport and current lease or mortgage or utility bill with name and current Ferndale address. Identification with post office box number only is not acceptable.
Except for addresses on Woodward Ave, any address with more than four digits identified with the City of Ferndale and the 48220 zip code is in Royal Oak Township. Applicants with Royal Oak Township addresses must obtain a library card from the Royal Oak Township Library or purchase a non-resident card.
To provide better service, applicants are encouraged to provide their phone number and email address, but neither is required to obtain a card and have full borrowing privileges.
Patrons must report an address change. A change of address sticker on the back of a driver’s license or state ID, new driver’s license or state ID, or current lease or mortgage or utility bill with name and current Ferndale address will be accepted as proof of a change of address. If mail sent to patrons (overdue notices, etc.) is returned to the library, borrowing privileges will be suspended until the patron presents documentation of a new or alternative address.
Click here for Children’s Library Card Application
- Children ages 5 to 17 must have a parent or legal guardian sign their application for a library card. (See Children’s Library Card Application)
- If a child’s parent or legal guardian cannot come to the library to fill out and sign the application, an application will be sent home with the child to be filled out and signed by the child’s parent or guardian. The child must return the form to the library and present his or her parent’s or guardian’s valid current identification (see Requirements: Adults above). A card will then be issued.
- Alternatively, the parent can use the online Children's Library Card Application.
- A library card will be issued to an emancipated child in their own name if the child provides appropriate current documentation as proof of emancipation.
Parents and/or legal guardians are responsible for any library fines or fees accrued by their child. Parents or legal guardians who do not wish their children to borrow DVDs, must indicate this on the application form. Parents and guardians will be denied borrowing privileges if their children fail to return items or for an accumulation of fines.
- Non-residents may obtain a Ferndale Area District Library card. Non-residents wishing to obtain a card must present a valid current State of Michigan driver’s license or state ID card with a current address.
- Valid picture ID or passport and current lease or mortgage and utility bill with name and current address. Identification with post office box number only is not acceptable.
- Non-residents who own property in the City of Ferndale may obtain a card. Valid proof of identity and a deed to the property owned or current property tax statement must be presented.
- Non-residents employed in the City of Ferndale may obtain a card. In addition to valid proof of identity, a current pay stub showing the applicant’s name, address, and place of business, or a letter from the applicant’s employer on employer letterhead documenting local employment must be presented. The library card issued will be valid only at the Ferndale Area District Library.
- Non-resident employees of the Ferndale Area District Library may obtain a card regardless of where they live.
If an applicant resides in a community served by a TLN (The Library Network) member library, the applicant must obtain a card from that library. This card will allow the applicant full borrowing privileges at the Ferndale Area District Library as well as at any other TLN member library. Visit https://tln.lib.mi.us/md/ to see if your community library belongs to The Library Network.
Pleasant Ridge residents must obtain their library card from the Huntington Woods Public Library. (The two cities have a contract.)
Other non-residents may obtain a Ferndale Area District Library card for a fee of $100.00 per family per year or $25.00 per quarter. All requirements above must be met to obtain a card. The card will be valid only at the Ferndale Area District Library.
Students who attend school in Ferndale are eligible for a library card no matter where they live. Parents of students ages 5-17 should use the online youth library card application to obtain a card for their child. Students age 18 and up should use the Adult application.
Students age 5-17 must also have their parents provide a valid driver's license or state ID with their current address. If the parent’s ID doesn’t have their current address, they may provide proof of residency documents (mortgage/lease agreement, utility bill).
Students must be able to provide proof of attendance in Ferndale Schools.
Proof of attendance documents include:
Valid and current student ID
Report card or progress report with student’s name on it (can be digital)
Enrollment document with student’s name on it (can be digital)
Non-resident student cards are valid only at the Ferndale Area District Library and for use with Ferndale’s online resources. Items from other TLN Libraries may be interloaned to be picked up at the Ferndale Library.
If you are a student in Ferndale but live in aTLN community, you must choose which library to get your membership from. A staff member can help you decide with card would work best for you.
- If you have an email address on file with the library, you will receive a renewal reminder 30 days before your card expires.
- Your library card expires one year from the day it was issued or renewed.
- You can view your expiration date on your My Account page
- Cards may be renewed within 30 days of their expiration date.
- You can renew your card online! See the first tab of this guide for links.
- If you have a paid non-resident membership, your expiration date may be quarterly, biannual or annual. Be sure to check with the library staff member when you receive or renew your card.
- Cards will be renewed upon verification of current address.
- Outstanding fines and fees must be paid before a card will be renewed.
Renewal of Cards
Cards will be renewed upon verification of current address. Outstanding fines and fees must be paid before a card will be renewed.
Lost or Damaged Cards
A $2.00 fee is charged to replace a lost or damaged card or key tag. Cards and key tags will not be replaced unless they are unreadable by circulation equipment. Patrons are encouraged to carry and have their wallet cards available. New cards will be issued without charge upon renewal if necessary.
When you get your library card, the system assigns the last 4 digits of your phone number as the PIN.
If you have an older card and can't remember your PIN, contact the library to reset it.